Background

Thursday, November 22, 2007

HOME! and Big Girl Furniture

HOME!!!! Finally, not that I didn't have fun on the road, I had a blast, but it's nice to be in a familiar environment, even if I don't have any of my stuff. I keep needing things, then realize that it's in a box somewhere. I don't want to unpack anything, because I'll just have to re-pack it all when I find a place to live, but without my things, I feel restless and unsettled. Last night I cleaned and organized the whole kitchen. I did the dishes, wiped down the counters, uncluttered all the working surfaces (Mom likes knick knaks on every surface, it seems like), dusted the tea kettle, washed the phone. Um, you know, regular kitchen maintenance, right??? Mom came down and got this funny look on her face like "where did all my stuff go?" To her credit, she just looked at me and said "Wow, thanks for cleaning the kitchen, Beck." Sigh.....I guess I just feel out of place right now, but am trying to adjust from Dad's highly regimented, "every-thing-in-it's-place" life to Mom's "where the hell is my phone, now!?" life. I'm not saying that one is better than the other, I am saying that it's going to be an interesting two months....

On a different note, I bought some more furniture! Ooo, I feel like such a grown up now! I got a matress and box set, a new bed, a bedside table, and a chest of drawers. Ok, so it may not be exciting to most people, but it was for me. These are my first big steps toward being a self-sufficient adult! Yay!

2 comments:

Brent said...

Our little girl is all grown up. It happens so quickly, doesn't it?

Becky Rose said...

I know, it's a weird feeling. I want to be settled somewhere, yet I don't want to grow up. Being a grown up is so complicated....