Background

Sunday, December 30, 2007

The Seattle Vacation Continued

Well, after the Underground Tour and the Seattle Aquarium (which was overrun with kids. Kids that ran wild. Kids that crowded the exhibits and pounded on the glass with their sticky fists, leaving a greasy residue on everything ), we were ready to tackle the Space Needle! I've heard of the revolving restaurant and always wanted to go, so Mom made lunch reservations for 12:30 and we were off! Since we had some time before lunch, we decided to got to the Experience Music Project and the Science Fiction Museum. The Science Fiction Museum was totally awesome. They had Star Wars and Star Trek artifacts, which would have been enough for me, but we also got to see the robot from The Swiss Family Robinson as well as stuff from Terminator, Rocket Man, Barbarella, Blade Runner, The Matrix, and tons of other SciFi programs I had never even heard of. Dad and I had lost Steve and Mom in the Music Project somewhere, so it was just the two of us and we totally embraced our nerdy-ness....
A quick note about the Experience Music Project. They didn't have any classic rock stuff. None, nada, zilch. No shrine to Led Zepplin, no rare Pink Floyd concert footage, no fur-lined jacket belonging to Janis Joplin, no Pete Townsend bell-bottoms. Anyone who knows me will understand how heart broken I was and how affronted I felt in the face of this HUGE oversight. Oh, but they did have a whole mezzanine devoted to latin music, which included bands like Hannibal and the Headhunters, The Texas Tornados, and lest we forget, Salina. Ugh...I just can't think about it.
Anyway, what they lacked in taste, they made up for in architecture. The building was visually stunning and was designed by the same architect that did the Walt Disney Music Hall in LA. Here are some pictures I took of my family as we were waiting for the museums to open.





Here are some classic shots of the Space Needle, and, my parents....


Here we are enjoying our brunch, while watching the whole city rotate by...


Ah, Seattle, the Emerald City! We had a great time and I hope to make this a new tradition for the Andersens!

No comments: