Background

Friday, March 9, 2012

Weekend Work

IT WAS SO NICE OUTSIDE LAST WEEKEND!!..that I hardly spent any time in the house. It was such a rarity to have a nice weekend in March that I took full advantage! First order of business- finish potting up seeds. I did broccoli, cauliflower, peppers, more tomatoes, tomatillos, and cilantro. The greenhouse is officially full. My germination mats came in the mail right on time to put under the newly planted pots:
The greenhouse bursting at the seams:
Matt also put up one of the magnetic strips he bought me for Valentine's Day. I'll use this one for spices I use all the time.
I also painted the front of the pantry shelves with chalkboard paint in between chores outside. Now, I know exactly what I have and how many jars there are without pulling out the stool.
I also re-potted all my bearded irises, since they were getting really root-bound. Out of six pots, I got fourteen new starts! Matt and I decided to rearrange the patio so that the flowers are more prominent and get more sun.
I also tidied up the strawberry pyramid- these were all the shoots that had rooted in the hazelnut shells over the winter. They're all potted up and in the greenhouse.
The big project that Matt and I finally finished was a tall greenhouse over one of the raised beds. I wanted to make a larger one to try and extend my tomato harvest. Last year's Romas were particularly disappointing... Look at how cool it is! It zips!
I also got some scrap materials from work last week. I think I'm going to plant potatoes in the black tub, but am not sure what to do with the rest...any suggestions???

No comments: