Background

Monday, March 26, 2012

Being Spontaneous

Is not something I'm usually good at. When your spontaneous, you haven't planned (obviously). When you don't plan, you aren't prepared. An unprepared Becky is an unhappy Becky, so I try to avoid it as much as possible. This, according to my family and friends, is why I'm such a wet blanket. A stick in the mud. Stodgy. Cynical. Bitter. These, among other adjectives, have been used to describe me over the last few months. While I know I don't like to do things at the last minute and I don't like when the "plan" goes awry, I didn't think that I had degenerated into someone that wasn't fun to be around. Apparently, I have. Mom's cure: get a kitten. Since Sam left to go back to Matt's house, I've been relatively cat-free at my house. I have most of the equipment for a cat (cat box, scratch pads, toys, cat litter), but no cat. I had been more than happy contiue being cat-free, but after the debacle with Velvet, I starting to think it might be nice to get a kitten. I mulled it over for several months, then Matt told me that his mother's cat had just had kittens. It seemed like a sign. So, I went over to see them and they were indeed as cute as you might imagine. All seven of them. After eight weeks, they were ready to go home and I claimed a brother/ sister pair out of the litter. Introducing Alice and Cooper:
After heavy doses of wormer and Advantage, I started to let them out of the bathroom and play in the house. So far, they've charmed everyone who has stepped in my house.
They are both so small and cute that I feel like the Winter Worlock after getting his train...
Saturday was glorious in Silverton- a whole 68 degrees with no rain! Matt and I decided to go to the Oregon Gardens to see their spring flowers and get out of the house a bit. All their daffs are blooming!
They have also put in a chicken coop since the last time I was there! No chickens yet, but I was really excited to see that they planned on getting some. Apparently, I'm a trendsetter in Silverton! I wonder how they got around that pesky city ordinance....
I also found this herb spiral that is exactly what I want to do in the front yard, except make a bulb garden out of it instead of planting herbs. Imagine daffodils, hyacinths, muscara, irises, lilies, and tulips going up and around? Sounds good to me...
We also saw these neat domes from a distance while driving in. I thought they were cloches, but they turned out to be bio-filtering water. These domes cover tanks of water plants that filter water continuously pumped through. Very cool!
After the gardens, Matt decided he needed a break from the computer and I needed a break from gardening. We decided SPONTANEOUSLY to go to the coast for the afternoon. We packed Matt's car and headed to Newport to walk on the beach and have dinner at Local Ocean. It was a wonderful unexpected detour, so there!

No comments: