Background

Monday, November 7, 2011

What's Up?

A lot! I'm always surprised at how busy I am every fall. When the weather starts to get colder and the days get grey and gloomy, I always want to just curl up in flannel pj's and listen to the rain beat on the roof. BUT, there always seems to be numerous things I have to attend to and get ready before finally settling in for winter. First, there's Halloween; my favorite holiday. I didn't decorate this year, but had lots of fun chilling with Nicole while we handed out 1oz. bags of Kettle chips instead of candy! I have lots left over if anyone's interested...

Fall is also a great time to work on Christmas projects since it starts to get dark so early. My latest: hand blown eggs from my chickens! It's so easy and yet leaves you with a very pretty product. I tend to think that the natural colors of the eggs are so pretty, that they don't even need dye. Hopefully, they will grace the Christmas trees of all the people I love this holiday season.

October is also the time to start thinking about bulbs! I've planted irises (bearded and dutch), daffodils, and tulips in all the little nooks and crannies in the backyard. I also ordered my garlic online and planted 10 heads worth in this little spot I cleared:

Fall is also a time of clean-up. I tidied up and organized the greenhouse so it's all ready for starting seeds come February. Got the hoe, shovel, and rake cleaned up and stored in the garage. Potted up my strawberry shoots and picked the last of my tomatoes. On the list for this weekend: harvest the leeks and celery!

Since the tomatoes were so late to ripen this year, October was also the month for making lots of good tomato sauce. I made plain as well as seasoned, both of which are frozen in large recycled yogurt containers. The possibilities are endless...

Fall is also the season for pears, Brussels sprouts, and apples! Nicole and I trimmed Brussels sprouts while watching a movie and handing out chips on Halloween. We had eight stalks done in no time! I pickled 13 jars worth last night and I'm wondering if that's going to be enough...

Nicole and I also collaborated on applesauce, spiced apple butter, and a new apple/ pear butter recipe.

This food mill came in so handy! Thanks Mom for this great gift!

Glad we made so much apple butter at once- it takes forever to cook down!

No comments: