Background

Monday, April 4, 2011

Now for the Fun Part

Now that the bones of the garden are in place, it's time to start thinking about plants! This weekend was Gardenpalooza in Canby and I was able to go for the third year in a row. We had great weather for plant buying- sunny, warm(ish), with only a brief sprinkle as we started to leave. I got lots of wonderful ferns for my shade garden along with rhubarb and two strawberry bundles along with a couple of very sturdy tomato cages.
Some of the plants layed out under the bay tree.


After Gardenpalooza, Mom and I stopped by the iron works place on our way home. We had been there before and I'd regretted not getting a few things I saw last time. One was this beautiful spire support. I'm not sure what I'll plant under it yet, but I'm thinking maybe snap peas?

The other item was a pot rack- finally!! I saw one, but needed to make a few modifications for it to fit in my kitchen's low ceilings. They're custom making it for me and it should be ready within the next few weeks. Yay! No more banging my head on pots! Now, I just need someone to hang it for me...
Anyway, the next day, I got a major energy burst and decided to clean out and organize the garage, clean out and organize the greenhouse, and make up a whole bunch of plant starts, all in between making four loaves of sourdough bread.
Here are all the flats I put together yesterday:
Three kinds of tomatoes, two kinds of cucumber, two kinds of salad mix, leeks, cilantro, and parsley. I also potted up some trumpet lily bulbs I got at Gardenpalooza last year as well as the strawberry bundles and rhubarb.


Yeah....I'm a little sore today.

2 comments:

Nick Mower said...

I stumbled on to this post while Googling "chicken wire." Anyway, nice garden. I'm curious about patio. What material is it? Thanks. Nick in Pullman, WA.

Becky Rose said...

Hello, Nick! It's actually pressed concrete. It was less expensive than flag stone (since I was on a budget), but it also has the added benefit of being even on the top surface. That means chairs wont wobble!