Background

Sunday, June 28, 2009

The Progress Thus Far...

Well, I've gotten a lot of requests for pictures of my garden, since it seems to be taking up most of my time. I've been obsessed lately with Green-Thumb progress and I think, finally, it's beginning to show. My backyard has been transformed from a patchy, uneven piece of lawn to, well, this...

The view from my back porch.

My bluberries, protected from the birds by netting.

Six raspberry starts with a trellis I built myself. It's very Swiss Family Robinson, but I think it will do the job next Spring when the starts really get their legs...

My latest project. Before bringing in the Hazelnut Shells I plan to use as path material, I want to put down a section of pavers for a table, chairs, and a fire pit. Bill and I got a load of gravel mix and spread it out and yesterday, I went over to Cynthia's house to pick up some paving stones. Hopefully, the shape of the stones will work with the space I have.


Here is the side of my garage on which I've attached trellises for the three clematis planted there. I also put in hardy fuschias and Chinese lanterns.

A view from the back of the garden toward the house. So far, I've planted Sweet Corn, Tomatoes, Yellow and Green Onions, Garlic, Shallots, a Tomatillo, Poblano Peppers, Anahiem Peppers, Brussels Sprouts, Cucumbers, and Sweet Snap Peas. I also have one bed dedicated to herbs. I have Lemon Thyme, English Thyme, Varigated Oregano, Greek Oregano, Dill, Nastursium, Rosemary, Chives, Purple Basil, Sweet Basil, Purple Sage, Green Sage, and Variegated Sage.

Oh yeah, baby. This hammock was worth every dollar! It provides the perfect place to rest after a few hours of weeding. I can swing gently back and forth while contemplating my next project.

2 comments:

Blair said...

Wow Becky - most impressive!!

Brent said...

I wish I had some of your ambition.