Background

Friday, October 1, 2010

OFF and I'M AWAKE!!!

Last weekend, I jaunted off to Canby to see all my friends at Oregon Flock and Fiber! Since I look so much like Mom, I got to meet a lot of new people who kept mistaking me for her. She was down in LA this year, braving 100 degree weather while I was taking refuge from torrential downpours in the barns.
I saw Sheila and Mike, who make beautiful glass knitting needles and buttons...

And I saw the "basket people" who always come every year with fabulous project baskets...

I stopped at Jan's booth and chatted with her and Geri....

And got a ride in the Roc so Jan could take her humane trap home. Apparently, there had been a skunk invasion in her coop and she wants to try and trap it before it makes off with any of her new hens! I heartily agree since I'm the one that raised them!

Anyway, Tuesday morning comes along and I'm groggily trudging to the chicken coop for feeding time at 7:30 in the morning when lo and behold I come face to face with THIS!!!!!!!!!:

I was shocked into wakefulness right quick, I can tell you! It was just a baby, but stunk to high heaven nonetheless and I was faced with getting it out of the coop without being sprayed and still get to work on time. I was saved by a large plastic black nursery pot that I covered him with, then slowly walked him out of the coop underneath. After quickly shutting and locking the coop door, I tipped the pot over with my hay rake and scooted back into the house. I suppose this catch and release was mostly a success, but I did smell slightly of skunk the whole rest of the morning....

No comments: