Background

Sunday, August 15, 2010

We're Jammin'

Well, summer was very late in coming this year in Silverton. It rained and rained and rained, then suddenly, it was ninety degrees! Unfortunately, I missed the very small strawberry window, but got plenty of blueberries to make up for it!

Mom and I got together and made lots of delicious jam! Here are the blueberries grown on a farm about 5 miles away from my house. They became Blueberry Rhubarb and Blueberry Lime jam as well as dried blueberries for muffins and oatmeal.

My next door neighbor ("Biscuits and Gravy" Bob) has a blackberry bush in his backyard and we worked out a trade: jam for all the blackberries I can pick. What a deal! Here is Mom, seeding the raspberries and blackberries for a batch of Mixed Berry Jam.

Here is the beginning of Apricot jam: cooking to the "gelling point"!

Cherries that we pitted with my fancy pitting machine- best $20 I've ever spent. We canned them in a light syrup for cherry pies, Dad's favorite!

Here is Mom loading up my dehydrator with left over blueberries....

The day's haul: Bluebarb Jam, Apricot Jam, Mixed Berry Jam, Blueberry Lime Jam, and canned Cherries. Whew, what a day!

Jars of summer goodness waiting to be sent out to spinners at Christmas!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

hey, uncle john likes dried blueberries!!!