Background

Friday, October 2, 2009

With Autumn Closin' In...

Who switched on Fall?!? Overnight, the temperatures dropped and gray days became the norm. Not that I'm complaining, mind you, fall is my favorite season! I love the crispness after the oppressive heat of summer and before the bone-chilling ice of winter. The maple trees start to change and pumpkin stands appear by the road on my drive home. Apples and pears are at their peak and my mind starts to wander towards Halloween decorations and Thanksgiving feasts! Fall is a great time for the Andersen Family, for it kicks off several months of straight partying! First is Steven's Birthday on October 26th. Next is Halloween, my absolute favorite holiday (even above Christmas). I get giddy just thinking about digging out all the decorations. Even now, I'm gearing up for my first big Halloween blow-out! Then, there's my Birthday on November 17th (ugh..28 this year..). Then Thanksgiving- bring on the mincemeat tarts! Then, Mom's Birthday, which is always something exciting. Then, Christmas with all it's complicated logistics and nation-wide gift procurement hysteria. Then, finally, New Year's where all you have to do is get tipsy on champagne. The rest of winter is spent looking a seed catalogues, hibernating, and trying to figure out how to avoid Valentine's Day. Then, before you know it, Spring is just around the corner and the promise of daffodils is enough to keep you going.
But, for now, I'm enjoying the change in weather and eating the last of my cucumbers. I'm savoring the last patches of blue sky and hoarding all my dried plums, peaches and pears.

Mom and I were lucky enough to get a peach shortcake from the EZ Orchards stand before it closed for the season. All their pumpkins are ready to be carved and the corn maze is open! Here are a few pics I took between bites of shortcake..




Mom, with the EZ Orchards loot...

The shortcake stand, now once again closed for the season.

One of my last gardening duties before winter: plant all these bulbs! I'll be impatiently waiting all winter for these to come up!

My last canning project: strawberry-rhubarb jam and pear butter.

What a season it's been!

1 comment:

Tanglewood Fiber Creations said...

Hey don't forget the biggest December 18th! Party