Background

Thursday, September 25, 2008

Chin up everybody....

An excerpt from this week's Fatted Calf Newsletter. I couldn't say it better myself and decided not to try:

When The Economy Stinks

When the economy stinks I crave spaghetti carbonara with plenty of pancetta, golden egg yolks and pecorino cheese. And when the dollar sinks I wrap figs in lonza and think about a warm autumn afternoon on a hillside north of Siena in the last days of the lira.

When there are so many hurricanes I can't keep their names straight and floodwaters threaten to rise I find myself at the market savoring the juices of a late season peach and marveling at the dense flesh of tomatoes warm from the sun.

When word that another luminary's light's gone out leaving the kitchen feeling cool and dim, I put a roast in the oven, pour a glass of red wine and toast to tomorrow, to health, to good food and drink.

When the news from the world leaves me shaking and I feel like my heart might break, I turn off the radio and turn on my stove. I do what I know: I cook. If friends and family have an appetite, I'll set the table.

See you at the market!

1 comment:

Brent said...

Love it - a sentiment that should be framed and hung on the wall.