Background

Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Kitchen Demo!

Another original appliance bites the dust!! For anyone who has followed this blog, you know that there is an on-going battle between the original appliances that came with the house and myself. To review, the house came with the following: 1. A washer that flooded the floor and wouldn't spin. 2. A dryer that you could hardly reach, that would catch clothes in a loose piece of trim inside the drum and twist beyond recognition. 3. A water heater that was not installed to code. 4. A toilet that leaked 5. A refrigerator that quit one day while I was at work and ruined all my food. 6. A dishwasher that stalls at the beginning of a cycle and runs unending until you adjust it. It's basket wheels also pop off at random moments. 7. A wonderful gas stove that I haven't had any problems with....yet. Yes. It has been an adventure. Not in a good way. So, I decided to premptive with the stove and replace it with a slightly newer model brought up from the Lakewood kitchen remodel. Over the years, I'd also notcied that splatters and drips would go between the stove and built-ins on either side. As a person with a strong food safety background, the fact that I couldn't get in there to clean really bothered me. That anything in my house could be that dirty bothered me... So, when we pulled out the old stove and corner cabinet, I was not surprised to find this:
and this:
and this:
What I was surprised to find was a water bill from 1997 (their rates have gone up significantly), an old metal rocking horse child's toy, and the head of my broken pie blackbird (which can now be re-capitated)! After using a shopvac, lots of GooGone, and a putty knife, I got the area clean before putting in the "new" stove.
It was installed in time to make homemade lasagna with Matt!
I'm almost there....the only thing left left to replace is the dishwasher and I think it's on to me. It's been on it's best behavior lately...

No comments: