Background

Thursday, December 8, 2011

New Bathroom- sort of...

Ah, things keep progressing at my house, both intended and unintended. About a month ago, the toilet started leaking. At first, I was terrified that the dripping I heard was coming from behind the wall, but (THANKFULLY), it was just the old toilet telling me it was on it's last legs. So, over my vacation/ birthday/ Thanksgiving break, Steven and I went to Lowe's and picked out a fancy new throne! It's dual-flush, has an elongated bowl, and is about two inches taller than the old toilet. Matt always complained that the old toilet made him feel like he was waiting for a bus, so I made sure to get a toilet that would be comfortable for anyone who would visit.
Rob (my handyman), came over the day after Thanksgiving and replaced the old toilet with the new one. Apparently, the old toilet had been there so long that both the bolted gasket and the wax seal had long deteriorated- the only thing holding the toilet down was it's own weight. By the shock on Rob's face, I realized that I had narrowly avoided some kind of bathroom plumbing disaster, for which, I am still thankful.
Behold, the disaster:


I figured while I was at Lowe's, I might as well get some new hardware for the bathroom. I took much pleasure in ripping out the faux green marble and brass accessories and throwing them in the garbage! I picked simple brushed nickel replacements:

Since Rob was coming to install the new toilet, I had him put in the pedestal sink that's been sitting in the garage for over a year (I bought it off of Craigslist long ago). Two birds- one stone! We ripped out the old vanity and replaced it with a clean, classic sink.
Here is Matt installing the new brushed nickel faucet.


Ta Da! What a difference just a new toilet, sink, and hardware make! Next on the list is a new light fixture and, eventually, a new shower and floor.

A before and after-
This is what the bathroom looked like when I moved in over two years ago:

And here is what it looks like now! I'm totally loving it!

3 comments:

Sheila E said...

Nothing like a bit of new in the house! And bathrooms are...to me...so important!
Congratulations on your new throne ;*)

Raquel Rita said...

Hi, can you tell me what recipe did you folow to make the soaps? the look great, I can almost smell them over the internet...

Raquel Rita said...

Hi, can you tell me what recipe did you folow to make the soaps? the look great, I can almost smell them over the internet...