Background

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

All Grown Up...Sigh

Sunday was a big day at the Andersen household! One of this year's chicks layed her first egg! Scorpio has been in seclusion since she was pecked by Blondie and, as a result, has had no competition for food. She's reached her mature weight before the others and beat them to the egg-laying punch! Matt was thrilled that he got to be at the house for the event and so was I, since I missed it last year (I was in Chicago on business). It was a decent sized egg considering it was her first and the shell was a very pretty light cocoa color.
Check it out!:


Some of the other pullets have been getting more and more interested in the nest boxes, so my next project will be to build more in order to avoid bottlenecks during peak laying hours (10am-2pm).

Update: I fried up Scorpio's first eggs last night and one was a double-yolker! It was delicious...

No comments: