Background

Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Birthday Party!

Happy Birthday to me! Twenty-seven is oh-so-close to thirty, but I'm not thinking about that! All I can think about is what a good time I've been having lately; November has been a kick-ass month for me! Hockey games, plays, dinners out, a new job, Birthday Parties (Neil's and mine), a trip to Victoria B.C (stay tuned), and the gradual appearance of my family in Oregon is making this month one of the best I've ever had. Tonight, Adrienne and I are going to a lecture by Annie Leibovitz (I finally managed to get my hands on a pair of sold out tickets). We both love her work and are very excited to see her in person and listen to what she has to say. I wonder if she is going to be signing things after, I could take my books....Anyway, here are some pictures of the recent festivities at Mom's house!

Long before Mark was born, Mom bought this hideous wooden fruit with the idea that he would be able to play with it when up at her house. At the time, that situation was so far into the future that we all kind of laughed at her over-enthusiasm. Well, last weekend, she openly gloated while Mark and Cleo played with the fruit (at the same time, which makes sense, since they are the same age ;-P) Mark gummed the tamarind bean while Cleo batted a wooden apple around the floor....



Don, Emma, and Mark spent Friday and Saturday night up at the house with Mom, Beth and myself. Here is Mark's first introduction to Shadow...

Cleo decided to tuck herself away in one of our yarn cubbies while Beth and Mom hand-made stitch markers....


A busy morning of animals and wooden fruit, more than justifies a mid-day nap! I wish I could have joined little Mark, but I had plying to do!

Mark woke up ready to go again and I got a classic blackmail shot! Sporting only a pair of custom leg warmers (made by Emma), Mark powered around the front room, chasing a wooden banana...

Late night snacks included popcorn (Mom, Emma, and Mark's favorite) and Lavender Sugar Cookies (a mix I bought for her on my last trip to EZ Orchards). Emma took this picture of Mom. Apparently, she had been rolling out sugar cookes while eating popcorn with flour-covered hands....



Don was working on the Volvo most of the weekend...

Sunday Morning- day of the party! I was up early(ish), making ready for the guests! First order of business: bone out two lamb legs, rub them with garlic, S&P, rosemary, and olive oil, then get them in the oven!


Then make appetizers for those who come early. Adrienne and Paul showed up first and helped me get everything together...

Then start all the other side dishes. All told, we had: Two legs of lamb, mini popovers with lamb gravy, pigs in a blanket, antipasto platter, sliced fruit, salad with parmesan and proscuitto, roasted potatoes, and trifle, sugar cookies, and carrot bread for dessert. We had lots of left-overs...

Monday, the actual day of my birthday, I had to work (blech). However, Mom and I met Jan and Neil at Bugatti's in Lake Oswego. The four of us went there last year for my birthday, so it seemed appropriate. Of course, we had a great time and good food and all left happy.


Mom had been hanging out at my place until dinner since she planned to stay the night. I beat her home from the restaurant and was surprised to find these set up in my apartment:


And these I got as a birthday present to myself:

All in all, it's been a great birthday and it's not over yet! Tomorrow is my last day at BrucePac (yay!) and after lunch, I'm driving to St. Helens to meet up with Mom and Dad (who drove up from LA yesterday). Then, we will all pile into the Element and head out to Victoria B.C. for my birthday trip! I know, how much fun can a girl have, right? Well, I decided that I'm due and I'm going to enjoy every minute! I will also be taking pictures like a maniac, so tune in for those...

Spinners: I will do my best to get fiber to everyone before I leave. I'll be back on the 24th and will check my place for any boxes that may have been delivered between now and then. I will try my very best to send fiber out to everyone who needs it the two days before Thanksgiving. Please e-mail me if you have any special circustances (such as your traveling for Thanksgiving and won't be home to receive fiber anyway). In those cases, I will wait until after the holiday to send fiber. I would like to avoid boxes sitting unattended on someone's rainy front porch if I can help it. Thanks!
B

1 comment:

Brent said...

Happy birthday, young person.