Background

Thursday, May 29, 2008

Flashback

I was mopping the kitchen in my apartment last night in anticipation of my Mother's arrival home and had this sudden flashback. You ever have those??? You're quietly going about your business, then you hear/taste/smell something that brings back a memory you hadn't thought about in years. I was suddenly back in the Wilmington house on McDonald Avenue watching my Mom mop the linoleum in her bare feet. She always mopped in her bare feet. And, she was the only one allowed in the kitchen afterwards, well, until it dried, that is...
I remember being about five or six, hopping from one dry spot to another, in order to sneak a snack without getting the floor dirty or my socks wet. She would catch me OF COURSE, and in a very stern voice say something like: "What..are..you..doing?"
ME: "Mom, I'm soooo hungry"
HER: "Well I just mopped! If you want something, I'll get it for you!"
ME: "Well...what's the difference between your feet and my feet?" (remember, I was only five)
HER: "GET OUT OF THE KITCHEN!!"

The memory of her exasperated exclamation made me chuckle last night as I sat waiting for the floor to dry, putting my socks and shoes back on. Funny, I always mop in my bare feet too....

3 comments:

Brent said...

Life coming full circle...darn it anyway.

monkeyspinner said...

Hey I have that memory too! How did you like Ohio? I'm here now..... I'm not sure they want me to come to the grad program I said I would consider if they could do something about the snow. Sorry I won't see you guys at TNNA :)

Becky Rose said...

I liked it very much. I was there on business and wished I'd had more time to tour the city, but I suppose I can always go back. I posted some picutres on my blog if your interested...