Background

Friday, March 14, 2008

Well the Good News Is....

I got offered a job!! I interviewed with a Siverton, Oregon company called BrucePac on Tuesday and they offered me the job yesterday (Thursday) afternoon! That was fast....
The good part is that I'll have responsibilities similar to the ones I had a Farmer John, so my learning curve will be less than at my current job. The REALLY good part is that they are offering to pay me what I make now, so it will be a lateral change.
The bad part? I'll probably have to move again....Siverton is about a hour away from where I live now, and that's quite the commute when gas is close to $4 a gallon. I'm house-sitting for the McMahons again this weekend and they suggested I come over tonight instead of tomorrow so we can brainstorm logistics....All in all, it could be worse, a lot worse. There are people who work here that have very few options, I count my blessings that I'm not one of them. I have extremely supportive friends and family who always catch me when I stumble and who are always ready with offers of help. I appreciate this more than you know.
After reading Mom's blog (which she managed to post despite being on her deathbed), I realized that I also have much to be thankful for (that four-year degree is worth it's weight in gold. Now I'm so glad I took that summer chemistry course, even though it seemed like cruel and unusual punishment to be in a chemistry lab when the Oregon sun was shining...). I'm glad I took classes that challenged me and that Mom didn't let me just scrape by in high school or college because the people that did are now the ones in my office, pleading for help with their resumes and cover letters. I'm glad that Dad wouldn't let me have credit cards and that he taught me to be financially responsible. I'm glad he talked to me about 401Ks, re-financing, and savings accounts. I'm glad that we, as a family, never gambled more than some occasional bingo games and lottery tickets (a must for Christmas stockings) because the people who did are now panicking about loosing their homes as well as not having any money saved for retirement. Just the thought of being 62, with less than nothing to show for my life and the knowledge that I would have to work until I died, makes my skin crawl. I hope that I never find myself in that position.
Nope, my life is already heading towards it's next new adventure, the next new experience. Everyone tells me Silverton is a beautiful town and I have a nagging suspicion they just might be right.....

2 comments:

Tanglewood Fiber Creations said...

Your welcome Becky Rose. I'm glad to have been such a pain in the butt. Being a "good Mom" isn't easy, being the bad guy and making you do the right thing was hard at the time but now I get to sit and watch it all work out. I love you. I'm more proud of you than I can say. After all you were the one that did the work. I just made you go.

clara said...

hey it's near the oregon gardens...