Background

Monday, February 6, 2012

Spring? Is that you?

Well, Punxsutawney Phil just said there's to be six more weeks of winter, but my garden begs to differ. And, frankly, I'd rather believe my garden. I've been noticing in the last week or so that tiny bits of green are popping up everywhere- definitely a good sign that warmer weather is on it's way.
The clematis is sending out new vine buds...

Hardy chive spears are coming up...

Dutch irises have a very good headstart...

The garlic I planted in October has got a nice firm grip on the soil and will start to make bulbs soon...

And one of my favorite spring flowers: Daffodils are starting! It will be another couple of weeks before the flower spears are ready to bloom, but the leaves get taller everyday!

And this week the Ameraucanas decided they were done moulting- I got three green eggs in one day after three weeks of nothing.

Between the clues given by the chickens and the plants, I'm hoping for an early, warm spring this year (or at least a better spring than last year). Also, soon I'll be planting seeds in the greenhouse and then there will be lots of fresh growing green things to watch!

No comments: